There's not much information out there, but Paul Mirecki has resigned his position as Chair of the University of Kansas' Department of Religious Studies. For those of you who aren't keeping score, Prof. Mirecki:
- Is faculty advisor for an atheist/agnostic student group at KU.
- Makes informal posts to a Yahoo! group created for that KU student group.
- Was planning to teach a spring semester course on Creationism/Intelligent Design as mythology.
- Sent a message to the student group plugging the course as something they might be interested in taking. That message mocked fundamentalists and stated they might not like the treatment of Creationism as mythology.
- Cancelled the class when the message was leaked and creationists in Kansas had a cow.
- Was beaten by two men early one morning; those men mentioned the course he was planning to teach.
Update: John Wilkins has a thoughtful post about this over at Evolving Thoughts.